[kde-linux] Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 20 21:35:05 UTC 2011

On 2011/11/20 20:47 (GMT) Duncan composed:

> OK, this is for kde 4.7 which as I already mentioned has some changes in
> this area, but hopefully 4.6 is similar enough that it applies:

> First, note that the normal default for $KDEHOME if the environmental
> variable is unset, is $HOME/.kde/ as shipped by kde, but on some distros
> it may be $HOME/.kde4/.

KDE3, for which support has never been completely terminated in openSUSE
(it's readily available even for 12.1), uses ~/.kde. Necessarily to prevent
conflicts, KDE4 must use something else in openSUSE, and why I wrote ~/.kde4

> Try this file: $KDEHOME/share/config/kwinrc .

> Presumably, what Felix is referring to can be found in the [Compositing]
> section as the Enabled= value.  In 4.6 and earlier, it defaulted to true,
> if the entry didn't appear.  In 4.7, it defaults to false.

> So look for this:

> [Compositing]
> Enabled=true
>
> And set it to

> Enabled=false

None of the kwinrc files I looked at for my previous replies in this thread
had that, but it turns out none were running 4.6.x. The 11.4 I looked at had
been upgraded to 4.7.0, which apparently doesn't need that value, same as
4.7.2 in 12.1. 4.4.4 in 11.3 didn't have it either.

There may be related values necessary for old hardware in kwinrc. Here's one
from an openSUSE 11.4/4.6.0 i845G system with compositing disabled:

#
[Compositing]
AnimationSpeed=3
Backend=OpenGL
DisableChecks=false
Enabled=false
GLDirect=true
GLMode=TFP
GLTextureFilter=2
GLVSync=true
HiddenPreviews=5
OpenGLIsUnsafe=false
UnredirectFullscreen=true
XRenderSmoothScale=false

[Desktops]
#

For something as old as a Vanta, OpenGLIsUnsafe may need to be true.

> *BUT* the BIG caveat is that I'm not SURE that entry even exists and is
> honored in 4.6 and previous.  Hopefully it is, and that gets you
> started.  Otherwise... well, you can try kde 4.7, probably by upgrading
> to opensuse 12.1 or whatever, possibly using Felix's suggestion for
> upgrading.

Another option that may be doable via POTS is upgrading 11.4 from 4.6 to 4.7.
He can do that by first updating the system, then saving the following  to
/etc/zypp/repos.d/KDE47.repo and then 'zypper ref; zypper dup' from a
runlevel 3 root login.

#####start next line#####
[KDE47]
autorefresh=1