[kde-linux] "Dir Filter" has gone missing in 4.7.3 +

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Nov 19 16:49:47 UTC 2011

James Tyrer posted on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:44:57 -0700 as excerpted:

> I have to ask, is my Steve Jobs like attitude totally unacceptable in an
> OSS project.  I just have to think that this is version 4.7.x and this
> little basic stuff should be working 100% by now.

> But, there is a faction that doesn't want to do any more work on
> Konqueror but rather just have Dolphin an Rekonq.

FWIW, I think the whole kde4 thing will go down as a transitional and
troubled time in kde history, due to the new-and-shiny but never more
than 80% since by then it's off to the next new-and-shiny.  Also
troubling is that a large segment of the developers seem focused on
mobile now, not bad in itself (rather, good), but bad when it's to the
exclusion of the desktop, as it seems to be some of the time.

Qt5 and kde5 are in the works, tho.  Qt is now a community project,
released from the bonds of nokia, and from what I've read, they've
settled down development of new platforms there, to focus on what they
have, at least for now.  That's a good thing.  And while the credibility
of kde regarding promises is about zero these days due to the headlined
kde3 support as long as there are users promise, then instead, dropping
it like it was a radioactive lump of plutonium or something, they /say/
that kde5 will be much more incremental, much more focused on building on
what has gone before, instead of going for the latest shiny.  That's
good, because they definitely NEED it.  But we'll have to see.  As I
said, credibility is hovering right about zero ATM, so I don't think
anyone that went thru the kde3->kde4 mess at least, is holding their
breath.

But while I expect konqueror to stay around for kde4 for compatibility
reasons, if in a lower profile and sometimes broken state, it'll be real
interesting to see whatbetter they do with kde5 in this area.  Personally
speaking, on the browser side I'd like to see them focus on better
integration with something with more mainstream support, either firefox,
or more likely in practice, chromium or something webkit oriented (rekonq,
but it has a LONG way to go to fill that role).  I'd *REALLY* like to see
them either go with chromium/firefox directly, or at LEAST integrate full
support of extensions for the chosen solution, as face it, the extensions
are a lot of what make the browser these days, and kde simply DOES NOT
and WILL NOT in the foreseeable future have the market share to properly
support a healthy and viable extensions community of its own.  Thus, the
browser they integrate MUST at least be generally extensions compatible
with a browser with a far larger market share (basically chromium or
firefox), if it's not direct integration of that browser, or the kde-
integrated solution is simply not going to be user-viable, long term.

Because right now, I've switched to firefox as my primary browser,
mainly /because/ of the plugins (noscript being the biggest one for me,
but there are others), but I *REALLY* miss the full integration, being
able to bookmark it in the browser and just "magically" show up in the
bookmarks menu I have setup in plasma (classic menu, set to show
bookmarks only), have krunner auto-search the browser bookmarks, have the
web shortcuts integrate with the browser, etc, just as it does when the
default browser is konqueror.

But it's quite clear that few kde devs actually use konqueror as their
main browser, or serious bugs like the lack of a proper security
certificate management gui, in an age where whole certificate authorities
are getting compromised and having their certs revoked, wouldn't continue
to exist for several major versions after kde was declared ready for
ordinary use and users.  Similarly with the "stable" update that
introduced the double-form-submission bug, with users having to wait an
entire month or more for the bugfix update.  Obviously, konqueror is
considered no more than a toy, or these sorts of bugs and their continued
existence wouldn't be considered tolerable.  But since konqueror IS no
more than a toy to them, well, it doesn't matter how long it takes for
such critical bugs to be resolved, because a "real" browser is expected
to be used instead.  (And FWIW, rekonq is considered less mature than
konqueror, or at least was while the cert thing was a problem, so it
couldn't be the answer either.  Instead, a "real" browser such as firefox
or chrome/chromium was assumed to be the default.)

For file management, I expect dolphin to continue as the kde5 default,
but get more focus, with konqueror either dropped or perhaps best for it,
adopted for independent development with a status much like that of
krusader.  But the heavier focus on dolphin and further dropping of focus
on konqueror will likely result in a more functional dolphin that can
more effectively replace the kde3-traditional konqueror, for file
browsing, anyway.

I'd also like gwenview to support standard file browsing, while expanding
its image focus to media in general.  Right now, it doesn't work as a
regular file manager, because it only shows images and video, not even
audio-only media.  Keeping a media-only mode but expanding it to manage
audio files and possibly to show text files for their README relationship
to media would be good, but a general filer mode, showing all files much
like dolphin does, would be good as well, and allow it as a much more
workable file manager when chosen as the default file manager in the
default application settings.  Because once that's possible, I'll very
likely set gwenview as my default file manager, as it'll work fine for
"user mode" file management then, and I already have mc for "sysadmin
mode" file management.  Then I'd not need dolphin or konqueror as file
managers at all.

It'll also be interesting to see what they do with phonon, for instance.
My last reply was to a guy on the gentoo-desktop list, running fvwm as
his window manager, with jack-audio, and trying to use some kde apps
including kaffeine, but having problems with phonon not working on fvwm,
only if he started a kde session.  Qt4 had adopted phonon for a time, but
then decided it wasn't a good fit for mobile so deemphasized it in favor
of qt-multimedia.  But with the community focus now for qt5, and a
refocus on supporting existing platforms instead of porting to new ones,
particularly mobile, will they continue to emphasize qt-multimedia for
qt5, perhaps dropping qt-phonon, or will they refocus on qt-phonon,
or...?  And what will kde5 do as a result?

Meanwhile, there's talk of integrating far more functionality from kdelibs
into qt, making qt5 far more its own integrated environment while
reducing the weight of kdelibs substantially, but even if they do go that
route, it remains to be seen how much of it they'll get in qt5, at least
the initial version, and how much might remain for qt6 or qt5 updates.

In any case, it'll certainly be interesting to watch as qt5 and kde5
unfold.  Will they refocus on the desktop and stabilizing existing
functionality and users, or only treat the desktop as an afterthought as
they continue to focus on mobile, the new shiny?  Meanwhile, the new-
shiny of tablets will surely fade in a couple years, and one can only
hope that semantic-desktop will either fade, or make *DRAMATIC* gains in
stability, while reducing its resources piggishness.  What will replace
those as the new-shiny, and will everyone be off to follow them, too,
dropping everything else to afterthought status as it seems the
traditional desktop is ATM?