[kde-linux] "Dir Filter" has gone missing in 4.7.3 +

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 19 05:44:57 UTC 2011

On 11/17/2011 06:40 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:37:17 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> When I open Konqueror to a directory, there is no filter icon or filter
>> window.
>>
>> So, I went to "Settings ->  Configure Toolbars" and I find:
>>
>>       Extra Toolbar<DirFilter>
>>       Filter Toolbar<DirFilter>
>>
>> I note that the 2nd one is WRONG.  It should be:
>>
>>       Location Toolbar<DirFilter>
>>
>> But, I don't think that that is the issue here.  The problem is that
>> when I open the dialog box for either of these that the only thing
>> listed is:
>>
>>       --- separator ---
>>
>> The icon and the window are not listed.
>>
>> Perhaps I made an installation error, or changed something in my user
>> tree for 4.6.x, so I tried a new test user and had the same problem.
>>
>> Does anyone (e.g. Duncan) have any idea what the problem is.  This
>> worked fine with 4.6.x.
> I can confirm the same behavior here (4.7.3).  However, I don't have
> every bit of kde installed
I think that I installed everything that would build on a first run
through.  I still have to go through the logs and probably install some
not very important dependencies.  And I still have not been able to get
all of KDEBindings to build although PyKDE built after I patched the
code.  Some of the other stuff built but some failed with errors.

> and don't use konqueror much any more.  I mostly
> kept it installed to use as a second browser, when firefox breaks or I
> want to compare page-display, so I wouldn't be able to tell you when the
> filter functionality broke.  (As a file manager, I tend to use mc in a
> konsole window for most things, along with gwenview for image and video,
> and dolphin works well enough in its role of glorified file dialog, so I
> rarely have a use for konqueror in file management mode at all, except
> for questions such as this.  I tend to switch to mc where many might
> switch from dolphin to konqueror, I guess.)
I would be willing to use Dolphin for building stuff although the
browsing ("previews") is convenient for README and installation
instructions some of which are now in HTML which would mean that it
would have to open Konqueror to look at them.

However, Dolphin appears to lack this important feature -- well one of
them.  It has a filter window but lacks a file type filter based on
extensions.

I also find it an issue that Konqueror lacks a file search part.
> Of course, this was exactly the sort of thing konqueror fans were worried
> about when dolphin became kde's default file manager... konqueror losing
> development focus and various bits of it going bug-riddled and broken
> until it's no longer of much use.  Oh, well...
I have to ask, is my Steve Jobs like attitude totally unacceptable in an
OSS project.  I just have to think that this is version 4.7.x and this
little basic stuff should be working 100% by now.  If the KDE project
could deliver quality that would please a perfectionist (me), I would
probably be changeling the Mac Desktop in the commercial market.  But,
something that is never over 80% complete is ... well that should speak
for itself.

I had great hopes for Konqueror.  I had even started to convince David
F. of the wisdom of the universal browser concept and that the
artificial Web Browser vs. File Manager design that is poorly bolted on
was a bad idea -- that it could be replaced by different configurations
based on the type of file or directory that was being displayed.  But,
at least I convinced him that the double Home icon was the thing to do.
Although I would like to also see a Places or Files icon.

There is another bug since the (poorly named) Search Bar shows up in the
Location Toolbar when it doesn't work.

But, there is a faction that doesn't want to do any more work on
Konqueror but rather just have Dolphin an Rekonq.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch