[kde-linux] Very ugly image in X root window.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Nov 12 02:25:23 UTC 2011

James Tyrer posted on Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:58:56 -0700 as excerpted:

> Do I understand correctly that if you open a konsole and:
>
>      killall plasma-desktop
>
> that this image doesn't show up.  I currently have >= 4.7.3 built from
> source by hand -- actually, I use scripts but I wrote the scripts.

I've been busy and haven't updated anything at all since the first, so
still have kde 4.7.2 here.

But no, killall plasma-desktop gives me a totally black screen, with the
various windows (including my superkaramba monitor and the two claws-mail
systray icons, which pop-up in little individual icon windows if there's
no systray for them) superimposed, the black screen possibly being the
result of that setting in the startkde script that we discussed up-thread.

FWIW, thinking about upgrades, I'm considering trying the 4.7.8x or
whatever 4.8 betas that should be coming out right about now, instead of
bothering with the rest of 4.7.  The techbase 4.8 scheduling article says
it should be released November 23, which is still a couple weeks away, so
there's a bit of time left it looks like, but I've seen a couple asegio
blogged posts on 4.8 development, etc, as covered on phoronix, and from
there on lxer, the feed of which I subscribe to in claws-feed (the claws-
mail instance I have setup with the feed-read plugin), and I'm thinking
about it.

If you recall, I built the last 4.6.95 or whatever 4.7-rc2, and ran it a
week or two before doing the full 4.7.0 upgrade after it came out, and
that went well, so...

Now that I don't have anything akonadi or kdepim to get screwed up, and
with firefox my default browser and all the semantic-desktop stuff
compile-time-opt-outed, the functionalities of plasma, kwin and konsole
are the worst risks I'm taking running the betas, no worries about losing
a decade plus of mail or not being able to properly login to my bank's
website, and if worse comes to worse, I can revert to my previous kde
version, so I'm freer to run the betas than I have been.

Plus, since 4.5, with a couple of noted exceptions in 4.6 and the
akonadifying of kdepim that ultimately forced me to jump to claws-mail
after nearly a decade on kmail, kde4 has actually made it out of the
alpha and beta stages for releases that it was in earlier in the 4.x
cycle, and my customary stability level is upstream beta to release and
distro development versions, so the betas should be right up my alley.

Alternatively, I may switch to the 4.7 "live" ebuilds here locally,
pulling directly from (mostly switched over now) git, since that's a
stable branch now.

The third alternative would be to wait for 4.7.80/4.8-beta1, and then
switch to the 4.8 branch at that point, since it'll be well into
stabilizing by then.  (Oct 27 was the soft feature freeze, Nov 3 the
dependency freeze, yesterday the 10th was soft message, soft api and hard
feature freeze, the 17th is supposed to be beta-1 tagging, the 23rd
beta-1 release, and the 28th documentation freeze, all for 4.8.)  By
beta-1, features are hard-frozen and messages and api are soft-frozen,
and the risk of totally broken updates goes way down.  Thus, but for bugs
that I can test and report on, if beta-1 is acceptably functional to cope
with the raw edges, I should be able to safely run 4.8 branch and watch
as those sharp edges get polished down for release.

In any case, I'm not sure I'll actually ever run 4.7.3 or later actual
releases in the 4.7 series, as when I do update, it's likely to be to one
of three: 4.7 live-branch, thus getting fixes before they're even
released, 4.8 beta-1 and the pre-release path, or post-beta-1-4.8-live-
branch.