[kde-linux] Re: bluetooth on acer aspire one d255

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat May 7 16:01:58 UTC 2011

yahoo-pier_andreit posted on Sat, 07 May 2011 16:55:09 +0200 as excerpted:

> or build your own from source, in
>> ordered to get support.
>
> do yuo say that I can compile a kernel with support for my BT?? where I
> can find the source with support??
> many years ago I did it, it wasn't so difficult,

I didn't really look far enough in the google search to see if it was
already in the mainline kernel (now close to 2.6.39) or not.

What I did is use google's linux-specific search, google.com/linux
(instead of the generic search at just google.com), and feed it
"Atheros AR5BBU12" (w/o the quotes) as search terms.

BTW, you might want to bookmark that linux search page, google.com/linux.
Also, if you use web shortcuts (see the config in konqueror's settings or
under account details in kcontrol) frequently as I do, but again like me,
do NOT tend to use the google I'm feeling lucky shortcut, ggl:, you may
wish to reconfigure that to be a google-linux shortcut.  That's actually
the way I do most of my google-linux searches, not using the google.com/
linux web page itself.  Simply take the default google search (gg:
shortcut) and copy it to ggl:, add the /linux right after the domain name,
and change the name accordingly.  OK/Apply out and start using ggl:

So then the above search becomes simply:

ggl:Atheros AR5BBU12

in either krunner or the konqueror address bar.

Or, if you prefer a simple link to just this search:

http://www.google.com/linux?q=atheros+ar5bbu12&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

As you can see, there's patches floating around, but I'm not sure they're
in mainline yet, and given the February/March dates, that's not too
surprising.

So while you can certainly find and add the patches, the status of
documentation and the like is probably such that if you don't already have
a good familiarity with both routine kernel config and building AND
userspace bluetooth tools and config, you'll likely find that building it
yourself /and/ getting it working is quite a challenge indeed!

I know I'm familiar with building my own kernel and routinely build and
test pre-releases, filing bugs and doing git-bisects when necessary to pin
them down, and I can and do occasionally handle raw patches as well.  So
that side of things wouldn't phase me.  However, I'd still expect to find
it a rather difficult challenge, because it'd be my first attempt at
configuring a working bluetooth stack on Linux, and I'd be doing it with
new and poorly documented drivers that may need tweaks to the normal
config.  If I had configured at least one working bluetooth install on
Linux, I'd be much more comfortable with the idea of trying to do so for
this new driver, but that's not the case.

However, one thing I *CAN* say from experience, having sorted out for
example how to run partitioned md/raid as my first experience with RAID,
back when the partitioned md/raid feature was in the kernel but new enough
it wasn't well documented yet... by the time you are finished, you
**WILL** know **WAY** more about both the kernel and user subsystems side
of whatever you're working on learning.  If you're suitably determined,
you can probably do it even not being that familiar with things already,
and you WILL learn quite a bit while you're at it.  Just be aware it's
going to take you some time, probably at least a day's worth of work, and
very possibly more like a week's worth or more, if you don't know much
about either modern kernel patching, config and build, OR how to configure
bluetooth in general on Linux.

But if you have the time and the determination, you'll be a lot wiser for
having done it when you are done -- to the point you'll very likely be
able to help others with it, perhaps even writing up your own guide for
it, should you decide to do so.