[kde-linux] Re: KDE 4.6.3 update messed up my TwinView setup?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:47:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Sun, 12 Jun 2011 06:47:37 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> I've been using NVidia's TwinView where my two 1920x1080 monitors are
>> treated like one large 3940x1080 screen. This worked fine in 4.6.2 but
>> with the Gentoo update yesterday to 4.6.3 it's now treating the two
>> monitors like separate 1920x1080 screens.
>>
>> I'm looking but haven't found it yet. Is there a setting somewhere that
>> allows me to set it back the way it was? The
>> SystemSettings->Display&Monitor tab shows it's supposed to be a single
>> 3940x1080 monitor, so it appears to be more of a desktop issue than
>> purely a display issue.
>
> Try... kcontrol (systemsettings, except it's not system-settings but user-
> specific kde settings, so the kde3 term kcontrol was more accurate, might
> as well call it milkywaygalaxysettings, it'd be about as accurate as the
> new name for most of the functionality found there), hardware, display
> and monitor, multiple monitors.  FWIW I believe you'll need USE=xinerama
> to get that kcontrol module.

For clarity, you're suggesting I add USE-xinerama to how I build my
machine? I'm happy to try it but it seems a rather radical step for a
minor KDE upgrade.

OK, before I change USE flags Size & Orientation shows a single
monitor3840X1080 which is correct.

Multiple Monitors has all 5 check boxes checked and shows :

Display 1:0,0,1920,1080
Display2:1920,0,1920,1080

The Identify all Displays gives me a '1' on the left monitor and a '2'
on the right monitor. My mouse stops at the left side of monitor 1 and
the right side of monitor 2. However I have two separate desktops with
different wallpaper and (frustratingly) all new windows seem to open
on the right monitor, not the left monitor even though it says to open
unmanaged windows on Monitor 1.

Please clarify about the xinerama flag (I've never used it) and I'll
give it a try.

Thanks,
Mark