[kde-linux] Re: Cleaning - Was: Loosing keyboard in KDE

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jun 11 01:42:54 UTC 2011

Klaus Vink Slott posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:53:33 +0200 as excerpted:

> Some time ago I tried to make a cronjob looking a access times on files
> in /tmp and cleaning out files not used in the last week. But this
> requires access times on files in /tmp and I am not sure about the
> performance hit. Another problem was that sudirectories did not get
> removed, as access to check for under laying files was recorded as
> active use of the directory.
>
> Anyway thanks for your input.

As you hint you already know, many people disable atimes for performance
reasons.  But reasonably new kernels actually default to relatime or
similar, I believe, so the performance issues are far less than they used
to be.

You may also be able to do something with lsof and/or fuser, to check
what files are actually open, but that won't catch files that are closed,
only to be reopened again later.

But you can certainly blow away much of what's there at boot, especially
if the mtime is older than your uptime.