[kde-linux] Cleaning - Was: Loosing keyboard in KDE

Klaus Vink Slott list-s at vink-slott.dk
Fri Jun 10 08:53:33 UTC 2011

On 9. june 2011 14:15:07 Duncan wrote:
> Klaus Vink Slott posted on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:44:28 +0200 as excerpted:
> >   I really should put some cronjob to keep these from growing wild
>
> FWIW, here, /tmp is a tmpfs, so rebooting (or umounting/mounting) clears
> it without further hassle.  I have plenty of RAM ...
>
> /var/tmp is actually a symlink to /tmp , altho that required a bit more
> work...  And now it's
> all setup and I no longer have to worry about clearing tmp every so
> often.  (FWIW I compile and test direct Linus git kernels so only tend to
> accumulate a few days uptime, not enough to worry about needing to clean
> /tmp between boots.)

Very inspiring although I'll have to work on a solution that fits my use.
Unlike your setup i only reboot when a security update requires a new kernel.
But a boot cleanup of /tmp would not be a bad idea anyway. then at least I
will have my /tmp cleaned once in a while.
I don't think tmpfs fits my situation as I most of the time run several
virtual machines. This puts some stress on my ram budget.

Some time ago I tried to make a cronjob looking a access times on files in
/tmp and cleaning out files not used in the last week. But this requires
access times on files in /tmp and I am not sure about the performance hit.
Another problem was that sudirectories did not get removed, as access to check
for under laying files was recorded as active use of the directory.

Anyway thanks for your input.

--
Regards
Klaus