[kde-linux] Weird DNS behaviour

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 13:34:27 UTC 2011

OK, so some time ago, a WLAN I regularly use was showing poor DNS
performance. I configured OpenDNS's server 208.67.222.220 through
KNetworkManager for that network.

More recently, the problem has been fixed, and OpenDNS's business model
(spuriously fail random lookups and redirect to an ad-shitty "guide"
page) is highly vexing.

Here's the weird bit; I've long since removed the configuration setting
and told KNM to get everything through DHCP. Checking /etc/hosts,
/etc/resolv.conf, etc the network's local DNS cache gets configured.
I've checked a lot of other config files and I can't find any reference
to 208.67.222.220 anywhere.

Doing a:

sudo /etc/init.d/nscd force-reload

is the standard recommendation. It solves the problem for apps that use
the system nscd, but only for that session; when I log on to that WLAN
another time, I have to kick nscd again.

Of course, Mozilla Firefox has its own internal stub-resolver and cache.
But closing down the browser and restarting, plus flushing the browser
cache, doesn't necessarily get rid of OpenDNS.

Other than obvious places like /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/dhclient.conf, is there somewhere in KDE4.6r6 that it might be
cached?

--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail
to lists complaining about them