[kde-linux] Re: [opensuse-kde] Two gripes with KDE under openSuSE 11.4

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 07:58:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Thomas Taylor <linxt at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi fellow KDE users;
>
> Sent to both lists for wider consideration.
>
> I installed openSuSE 11.4 Milestone 6 a couple of days ago and have two gripes
> with the KDE desktop.  This has KDE version 4.5.95 (RC2).
>
> 1)  Upon starting, whether from cold boot or restart, the "Mail Notification
> Properties" popup appears.  I've searched through "Configure Desktop" but
> haven't been able to find how to turn it off.  I don't use the KDE mail program
> (kmail) and don't want to be notified about new messages.  How can I turn this
> annoyance off?

I haven't seen this.  Can't you just uninstall kmail if you don't use it?

> 2)  Is there a way (as in Winblows) to turn the sound off for ALL notifications
> without having to turn off every single "play sound" button on every single
> program, EASILY at a single click?  Winblows at least allows one to click on
> "no sounds" for system notifications and still have audio available.

Set the notifications volume to zero?

> 3)  Guess I lied!  Is there a way to turn off the VERY annoying buzzer sound
> that occurs in some programs when bad keyboard input occurs (such as trying to
> delete beyond/before a fill-in box?  It annoys my wife when she's sleeping and
> I'm working at the keyboard.

I personally don't have this.  It is probably one of the entries in
"KDE Workspace" in the notifications.  In that, I have all the "Text
completion" sounds off, you can try doing the same.  You also want to
make sure the system bell volume is set to "0%" (you need to enable it
if it isn't already, set it to 0%, then disable it).

-Todd