[kde-linux] Revive Quanta+?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Dec 28 21:21:18 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, 2011-12-28, john Culleton wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:31:38 +0100 Kevin Krammer
>
> <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > >
> > > integration with an overall project like KDE. If Quanta were
> > > independent of KDE we wouldn't be having this discussion.
> >
> > You mean because the project mailinglist would have also been
> > gone and thus leaving users without a channel to gauge whether
> > others area also still in need?
>
> There is still an active Quanta+ list, filled with posts about
> when will it be upgraded to work with Qt4?

No idea. I was mainly finding it quite insightful that one of the advantages of
larger and diverse projects is that infrastructure such as mailinglist, code
respositories, etc. keep being accessible even if a certain product is
currently without any active developers.

In this specific case this very mailinglist being available for users of all
applications developed by people associated with KDE.

> OTOH the lists for
> Scribus, Inkscape, TeX etc. are filled with posts from people
> actually using the app.

Right, just like this list and the more generic "kde" list being filled with
posts from people using KDE software. Quite natural IMHO.

> > > One of the virtues of the Open Software approach is freedom
> > > of choice. When the KDE folks messed up KMail I switched to
> > > Claws Mail. When the KDE interface became clumsy and slow I
> > > switched to XFCE. I replaced the weak apps in KOffice with
> > > better ones from Libre. But for the task of web page
> > > production two projects have fallen apart, Quanta+ and now
> > > Amaya. Bluefish is the last app standing. It is decent and
> > > well maintained but lacks some of the features of Quanta+.
> >
> > In this case I'd say the way with most likelyhood of success is
> > to make a precise as possible description of the missing
> > features and ask the active project's community to implement
> > them.
> >
> > Cheers, Kevin
>
> I will take that suggestion. But does nobody in the KDE
> development world worry about the issues that I and others have
> raised?

I am not sure what you mean with "worry about" but I'd say yes.
As I wrote in another mail to this thread there had been a Quanta+ related
Google Summer Of Code project, last year IIRC.

For something like this to happen it needs at least one student making a
respective proposal and enough support by KDE's GSOC mentors to make it into
the final selection (usually something like 40 out of 250 proposals).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring