[kde-linux] Revive Quanta+?

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Dec 28 20:45:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:31:38 +0100 Kevin Krammer
<kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Monday, 2011-12-26, john Culleton wrote:
>> > One of the overrated virtues of Open Software developement
>> > is
> > integration with an overall project like KDE. If Quanta were
> > independent of KDE we wouldn't be having this discussion.
>
> You mean because the project mailinglist would have also been
> gone and thus leaving users without a channel to gauge whether
> others area also still in need?

There is still an active Quanta+ list, filled with posts about
when will it be upgraded to work with Qt4? OTOH the lists for
Scribus, Inkscape, TeX etc. are filled with posts from people
actually using the app.

> > One of the virtues of the Open Software approach is freedom
> > of choice. When the KDE folks messed up KMail I switched to
> > Claws Mail. When the KDE interface became clumsy and slow I
> > switched to XFCE. I replaced the weak apps in KOffice with
> > better ones from Libre. But for the task of web page
> > production two projects have fallen apart, Quanta+ and now
> > Amaya. Bluefish is the last app standing. It is decent and
> > well maintained but lacks some of the features of Quanta+.
>
> In this case I'd say the way with most likelyhood of success is
> to make a precise as possible description of the missing
> features and ask the active project's community to implement
> them.
>
> Cheers, Kevin

I will take that suggestion. But does nobody in the KDE
development world worry about the issues that I and others have
raised?

--
John Culleton
Linux since before 1996.