[kde-linux] KDESU again

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 23 09:12:06 UTC 2011

James Tyrer posted on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:09:07 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 12/22/2011 05:04 PM, James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 12/21/2011 05:12 PM, Duncan wrote:
>>> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:36:40 -0700 as excerpted:

>>> FWIW, I can confirm here on gentoo, /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/kdesud is
>>> part of the kdesu package (4.7.90 installed), and that it's setGID,
>>> owner root, group "nogroup" (probably "nobody" on LFS).
>>>
>>> I don't see any special set* treatment in the ebuild, so it would
>>> appear to be set by the build process from upstream (kde).
>>>
>>> But my normal/kde user is locked out of things like su, and thus
>>> kdesu, so I can't confirm whether it actually works or not.
>>>
>> IIUC, some distros name the private group for the user: "nobody" as
>> "nogroup" rather than also calling it: "nobody". No real difference
>> since it is still 99. So, I renamed it.

Heh.  Here, there's both a nogroup and a nobody group, according to /etc/
groups.  The GIDs are 65533 and 65534 respectively.  Rather far from your
99...

>> There does appears to be an issue since it is not installed this way
>> when you build from source.

Since group names/numbers are maintained at the distro and admin levels,
it'd be a distro- or admin-specific patch.  Generally distro since that's
the level at which such group ID decisions are normally made, but where
an admin is installing directly from unmodified sources, it'd be admin.

Tho I guess it should really be a configure-script option, much like the
usual install-prefix options, etc, so no actual patch needed, just the
correct option fed to the configure script.  But I've never seen such a
configure-script option, not that I routinely run configure scripts
manually, but I do run 'em enough to know what they are and how their
options generally work.  Does autotools (and alternatives) provide for
such a thing?  If not, then it's back to patch...

> Note that you should be able to tell if it is working correctly if the
> KDESU dialog window shows the: "Remember Password" box to check.

By that measure it's working. =:^)