[kde-linux] KDESU again

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 23 00:04:53 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 05:12 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:36:40 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> Some time ago, I posted:
>>
>> "When I run KDESU from a Konsole, I get this message:
>>
>> startApp: Daemon not safe (not sgid), not using it
>>
>> Is there some file that needs the permissions changed?"
>>
>> It was posted to LFS that it is: "kdesud" that needs the permissions
>> changed -- SGID set.
>>
>> Also note that for security reasons that the group should be changed
>> from "root" to "nobody".
>
> FWIW, I can confirm here on gentoo, /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/kdesud is
> part of the kdesu package (4.7.90 installed), and that it's setGID, owner
> root, group "nogroup" (probably "nobody" on LFS).
>
> I don't see any special set* treatment in the ebuild, so it would appear
> to be set by the build process from upstream (kde).
>
> But my normal/kde user is locked out of things like su, and thus kdesu,
> so I can't confirm whether it actually works or not.

IIUC, some distros name the private group for the user: "nobody" as
"nogroup" rather than also calling it: "nobody".  No real difference
since it is still 99.  So, I renamed it.

There does appears to be an issue since it is not installed this way
when you build from source.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch