[kde-linux] KDESU again

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 22 00:12:24 UTC 2011

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:36:40 -0700 as excerpted:

> Some time ago, I posted:
>
> "When I run KDESU from a Konsole, I get this message:
>
> startApp: Daemon not safe (not sgid), not using it
>
> Is there some file that needs the permissions changed?"
>
> It was posted to LFS that it is: "kdesud" that needs the permissions
> changed -- SGID set.
>
> Also note that for security reasons that the group should be changed
> from "root" to "nobody".

FWIW, I can confirm here on gentoo, /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/kdesud is
part of the kdesu package (4.7.90 installed), and that it's setGID, owner
root, group "nogroup" (probably "nobody" on LFS).

I don't see any special set* treatment in the ebuild, so it would appear
to be set by the build process from upstream (kde).

But my normal/kde user is locked out of things like su, and thus kdesu,
so I can't confirm whether it actually works or not.