[kde-linux] Building KDEPIM 4.7 from the GIT repository

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 21 04:35:34 UTC 2011

James Tyrer posted on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 22:58:42 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 12/19/2011 05:54 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:56:26 -0700 as excerpted:

>> Have you tried git bisect-ing the problem?

> Yes, I have it down to the file and the changes in that file that broke
> it.
>
> I upgraded GCC and now it builds -- my compiler was getting a bit old
> although it isn't really safe to install the newest version either.
>
> But, that doesn't establish whether it was illegal code or not since the
> GCC compilers will often compile code that isn't legal.

You know how to frustrate a person, don't you? =:^(  You mention the old
compiler that was broken with the code was a bit old, and that the new
one isn't broken, but not a hint to be seen about what the actual version
was of either one! <grr!>

I would have at least liked the gcc version numbers for comparison with
mine, 4.5.3.  Gentoo has 4.6 in the tree but still masked even for ~arch
(testing) as it's broken with a few packages (including grub-legacy)
still, apparently, and while with the early 4.x versions I was upgrading
well before the unmasking, that was because 4.x was still improving amd64
code by leaps and bounds (with 4.x the first series where it was a truly
native arch, not bolted onto the side as an afterthought as it was for
3.x), and now that amd64 is a mature arch much like (32-bit) x86,
improvements are incremental enough and I've been busy enough not to be
that interested in all the hassle that comes with unmasking a still
masked version, finding and applying the necessary patches not in the
gentoo tree yet, etc.

But I am feeling a bit like my gcc 4.5.3 is a bit stale now, tho in
perspective it's not /that/ old, it's just that I'm used to being a bit
more leading edge than I am ATM.

That's why I'm interested in what you're using, and what you're calling
old and new, to get a bit of perspective from someone in the non-gentoo
camp that none-the-less builds much or all of their system so that it and
thus they live and die by that compiler as much as gentoo folks do.

IOW, it's not just to help you, tho if I can I certainly will, but to
satisfy my own curiosity as to what you call "old" and "new" in compiler
terms, as well.  And you're frustrating me, withholding that information
like as if it were some top-secret and I'm wikileaks, or something.