[kde-linux] Retain Favorites menu through upgrade to 4.7

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Dec 10 01:28:58 UTC 2011

Dale posted on Fri, 09 Dec 2011 18:41:49 -0600 as excerpted:

> Maybe Duncan will have some ideas on this.

I'm not sure whether the following will help much or not.  It's more a
bunch of semi-related thoughts and comments on the general idea, since I
rarely use the kickoff menu and thus it's one of the few bits of kde that
I've only very lightly customized.  I don't believe I've customized
Favorites at all, so obviously wouldn't know if the customizations
survived upgrades here or not.

I thought Internet Favorites, aka bookmarks, at first.  I've certainly
never lost them, even in the upgrade from 3.x.  Actually, I think some of
them might even be from kde2 era!

Then when I realized it wasn't that, I immediately thought of the panel
in dolphin, etc, but that's Places, not Favorites.

But for the kickoff menu, kickoffrc does sound like the place to look.

I've never really customized it tho (as I said), since I use a scripted
hotkey setup I devised in the switch to kde4 when khotkeys lost the
proper multikey support that it had in kde3, for launching all my
commonly used apps.  So I only rarely use kickoff and haven't customized
it hardly at all.

I'd do some testing, but I just finished upgrading to 4.7.90 aka 4.8-
beta2, here, and am rather too tired to reason the tests out effectively.
Maybe when I wake up.

But I can leave you with this.  *.desktop files are the freedesktop.org
standard for setting up menu entries, etc.  KDE uses them for services
that the user doesn't start directly, too, tho I'm not sure if that's
part of or an extension of the freedesktop.org standard.  (A services
example would be the ghns, get-hot-new-stuff, service, which is the
integration with kde-look for downloading new wallpapers, plasmoids,
etc... that's a service described by one or more *.desktop files among
other things, available as part of a number of kde apps, not an
individual app to be run separately or have its own menu item).

Typically, the format is the usual ini-file-format, [sections] in
brackets, entry=value pairs, # starts a comment and blank lines ignored.
They typically consist of title and description lines, both translated
into dozens of different languages, plus the functional part that says
what executable to run for a menu item, or library to load for a service,
etc, and often a number of additional lines of optional information.

So a reference to firefox.desktop probably refers to the menu item, as
created by the firefox.desktop file as it'd be found in /usr/share/apps
or some such (too tired to check specifics ATM).

That should give you some idea what those *.desktop entries refer to,
anyway.  You can equery belongs firefox.desktop to find the package
(probably firefox) and system path it's installed in.  The other
*.desktop references should then be easy enough to find, hanging out in
either that area in system, or in the parallel homedir location,
/usr/share/apps and $KDEHOME/share/apps ($KDEHOME defaults to ~/.kde if
the variable isn't set) and the XDG parallel under ~/.config or ~/.local,
IDR which.

That should be enough to get somewhere with, I think/hope.