[kde-linux] Increasing the intensity of mouse-over

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Dec 3 16:58:25 UTC 2011

Pablo Sanchez posted on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:50:40 -0500 as excerpted:

> [ Comments below, in-line ]
>
> On 12/03/2011 06:35 AM, Duncan wrote:
>
> Hi Duncan
>
>> Pablo Sanchez posted on Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:42:18 -0500 as excerpted:
>>
>>> However, if I bring up `System Settings' and mouse-over any of the
>>> icons, the mouse-over color is extremely light.  I'd like to increase
>>> this intensity while maintaining my `Selection Background'

>> Try setting hover decoration color.
>
> I tried the above but it didn't do what I wanted:  make the mouse-over
> darker.
>
> I find working with outliers helps me figure out things.

Yes.

FWIW, there's a special-purpose color-scheme on kdelook called
"CheckColorRoles (for style development)", or at least there was back
when I downloaded it probably around kde 4.3 timeframe.

It helps, but it's definitely not something I'd use other than for
testing things, and it takes a bit to grok the way they organized the
colors (by color-set, with positive always green, negative always red,
etc).

One thing that is nice about the scheme, tho, is that nearly all the
colors are somewhat washed out, so it's possible to pick a really strong
color and start changing stuff and hitting apply (taking care not to make
text and backgrounds of anything critical the same, maybe check
backgrounds first, then text) until you see something useful.

> In this
> particular case I set `Hover Decoration' to fuschia (aka `Hot Pink' :).
> I could see how it affected my other windows but it didn't change what I
> was after.
>
> Does it work for you:  when you set `hover decoration', does it change
> the intensity of the mouse-over on the icons found in `System Settings'?

That doesn't, but using check-color and then confirming it by switching
theme and verifying with changes on other themes, I believe I figured it
out.

> The intensity I'm talking about seems related to `Selection Background'
> If I change `Selection Background' to a very dark color, the mouse-over
> is a lighter version of it.  Consequently, if the `Selection Background'
> isn't too dark, the mouse-over is too light for my tastes.

You're right, but that's only one of two colors blended:

The normal background for both the icons and color element selection
listbox appears to be:

Set: View, Item: Normal background.

Clicking on an entry selects it.  That color is:

Set Selection.  Item: Normal background.

But just hovering over an entry without selection produces a blend of the
two, mostly from the view set, but modified by the selection set (normal
background role for both).

That's obviously one of those indirectly set values I was talking about.
If you are set on one of the two, perhaps you can change the other?

> There must be some sort of color-index which determines how much to (I
> don't know if this is the proper term) desaturate the mouse-over color.

The ratio of the two is apparently buried in the source code, tho it's
possible that's a default, with a per-scheme ratio change possible if
it's specified.

Do note the contrast slider on the options tab.  That seems to do it for
some things, but I didn't notice a difference in the ratios between the
two colors above for mouse-hover.  And even if it did, it'd change the
ratios for some other things too, some of which might not be desired.

> Thank you for the detailed explanation!  There's a bit for me to grok.
> I may need some coffee!  :)

Yeah.  I tend to do that with my posts.  The one that got lost to the
crash was even more detailed, as I mentioned, but wandered off on a few
rabbit trails too, only to come back to the topic again.