[kde-linux] Re: initial panel height in 4.6.2

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 29 02:28:16 UTC 2011

On 2011/04/28 03:52 (GMT) Duncan composed:

> Felix Miata posted on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:54:49 -0400 as excerpted:

>>  In 4.6.0 on openSUSE it was in
>>  /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/layout-templates/
>>  org.kde.plasma-desktop.defaultPanel/contents/layout.js
>>  but in 4.6.2 on Mandriva I can't find any such file, or anything
>>  containing "panel.height".

>>  Where and how is initial/default panel height set in 4.6.2?

> You may be misremembering that location -- off by a single subdir.  Either

No memory involved. That was a copy & paste from a similar question answered
months ago on an opensuse mailing list.

> that or the two distributions use different locations.  Delete kde4/ from

Apparently I chose an inopportune time to attempt to find that file in
Mandriva, on a fresh install that failed to install enough of KDE to be
functional. I've done close to a dozen Cooker installation attempts in the
past several days, all failing to install enough for me to log into either X
or a console.

> the path above, IOW, /usr/share/apps... instead of /usr/share/kde4/apps...
> and you should find the file.  If not, check /opt/share... or
> /usr/local/share....

/usr/share/apps/plasma/layout-templates/org.kde.plasma-*/contents/ has them
on my latest failed Cooker installation.

> At least the /usr/share/apps... location is where Gentoo puts the files.
> And FWIW, they're in the same place for both 4.6.0 and 4.6.2.  And the
> content of the file is identical as well.  No changes to either the file
> content or location between the two versions.  That's actually as
> expected, at least for the location (the content might change slightly),
> since it'd be extremely unusual for kde to change locations in the middle
> of the 4.6 bugfix-only cycle like that, even if they decided they needed
> to change it going forward.  Rather, they'd wait for the next feature
> release, 4.7.0, to change it, if they were to change it at all.

Good to know. Thanks! :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/