[kde-linux] Re: Kpatience not closing correctly when logging out.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Apr 24 18:41:44 UTC 2011

Anne Wilson posted on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:44:08 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Sunday 24 April 2011 03:55:30 Dale wrote:
>> Dale wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I think some developers are on this list as well so I wanted to post
>> > here first.  When I logout of KDE 4.6.2 and Kpatience is open, I get
>> > a error that it closed unexpectingly and it doesn't logout until I
>> > click close on the error box.  I usually am around long enough to
>> > click it but sometimes I logout as I am walking off.  This causes me
>> > to be logged in until I get back.  It appears Kpatience thinks it has
>> > crashed instead of just being closed out.  I know this was the case
>> > since 4.6 came out but I think it did it in 4.5 as well.  That has
>> > been a while so I'm not positive.
>> >
>> > Is this a bug or something else?
>> >
>> > Info about my rig.  AMD 64, Gentoo Linux and "Platform Version
>> > 4.6.2".  I got that last bit off one of the about KDE boxes.  If you
>> > need more info, let me know.

>> No one else has this problem?  Anyone know of some config that might
>> cause such a problem?  I have already recompiled Kpatience with no
>> change.
>>
>> Open to ideas.  It still does it.  I logged out earlier today and it
>> did it again.

Thanks for the followup, Dale.  When you first posted I hadn't updated to
4.6.2 yet, so saved your message as unread, to come back to later.  But it
had sat there and I hadn't gotten back to it.  This lets me kill that
unread message too. =:^)

> I use Kpatience almost daily, on Fedora 14, KDE 4.6.2, 32-bit, but I
> always close it down before logging out, as I do all other
> applications..  Since your status is always saved by Kpatience I see no
> reason to leave it open.  It works for me.  Perhaps it just appeals to
> my "tidy mind" :-)

Same as Anne for me, too.  I have a hotkey setup for kpat and use it
between things, fairly frequently.  But I tend to play a game start-to-
finish in a single session (save-game-state option is off, as mentioned in
a different post), and when I'm done, I close kpat (as I do with pretty
much any app), sometimes to restart it almost immediately, if I decide to
play one more round...  Obviously, when I shut down a kde session, I'm
done with whatever I'm doing, so most apps are closed including kpat.
It's not like it takes long to resolve a game round and quit kpat.
Otherwise, I just leave the system running.

So while I've been on 4.6.2 for awhile, now, I can't say that I've seen
the behavior you mention, but that's because it'd be extremely rare for me
to have kpat open at kde shutdown in any case.  I guess I'll have to try
it and see, but of course, that'll kill my partially composed message, so
I guess I send this and do a followup after my test.