[kde-linux] Re: Start-up tune

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Apr 21 12:39:56 UTC 2011

Wolfgang Mueller writes:

> On 04/20/11 10:22, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Wolfgang Mueller writes:
> >> When kde starts, a short, noisy and ugly music piece is played. If I
> >> remember well, the same is done at shutting down. How can I get rid
> >> of it?
> >
> > You mean the nice tune that I like a lot?
>
> De gustibus...

You could exchange it with a better one :)

> > In KDE 4.6, it's
> > Systemsettings ->  Application and system notifications ->
> > manage notifications -> Applications ->  KDE Workspace  ->
> > Login/Logout. Or something like that, translated my German
> > localization.
>
> In my KDE 4.6.00 release 6 the first 5 items are the same:
>
> Systemsettings ->  Application and System Notifications ->
> Manage Notifications -> Applications
>
> But Applications does not contain any of the items you specified,
> i.e. neither KDE Workspace nor Login/Logout, nor anything similar to
> these words. So I do not think that it is a translation problem (to
> avoid problems like that, I use the English versions of all
> programs; that makes it easier to get help in an English speaking
> mailing list or newsgroup).

From Applications on, I did not need to translate, it's English here also.
The Event source dropdown list has several entries for various applications
and stuff. And the KDE Workspace entry then shows tunes for login, logout,
warnings, errors, questions and such.

> Nevertheless the solution was quite simple. Instead of Applications
> I opened Player Settings. And there I checked the option "No audio
> output". That helped.

Okay, that's also a solution, if you don't need all the other sounds. I
probably wouldn't miss them, too. Well, except for the nice startup sound
maybe :)

	Wonko