[kde-linux] Re: Knotify bug.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Apr 16 17:22:15 UTC 2011

John Culleton posted on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:33:07 -0400 as excerpted:

> Slackware 13.1 KDE 4.4.3 (possibly Kmail 1.13.3)
>
> I get random errors with Knotify but there is never enough data to file
> a bug report. Since I never to my knowledge use Knotify can I just
> delete it?

1) You probably know this already, but kde 4.4 is rather old, by now.
Personally, I considered 4.4 to be what /should/ have been the 4.0-rcs,
with 4.5.4 and 4.5.5 finally approaching what should have been 4.0 release
(early 4.5s were good here but had graphics bugs for many).

4.6 has so far been a tough one.  It does get rid of the hal dependency,
relying on udev/udisks/upower instead, which means for you coming from
4.4, you might want to stick with the late 4.5s and avoid the various bugs
the 4.6s have had.  But hal was rather hated due to its obtuse
configuration if one /did/ have to configure anything by hand, so if
you're already trying to get rid of it anyway, 4.6 may be a better choice
that 4.5.  The problems with 4.6 seem to stem from the fact that kde is
switching svn -> git ATM, and at least for the 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 releases,
apparently code was pulled from the wrong branch for a few packages.  The
result has been a number of bugs, with 4.6.0 being better than the
following releases for many.

But I'd _definitely_ recommend upgrading to 4.5.4 or 4.5.5 from your
current 4.4.x.  Beyond that, to 4.6 is up to you.  Because 4.4 really
wasn't something I'd yet recommend for ordinary users, while the later
4.5s were/are.

2) In direct answer to your question...  If you run the kde desktop,
knotify is assumed to be available, and you're likely to have problems if
you try to remove it.  If rather, you run kde apps on another desktop
environment, you'll probably have less issues removing it.  But even on
the kde desktop, given you're already having knotify issues, it's possible
the issues you'd have without it won't be any worse.  I honestly don't
know (maybe it won't even start without knotify? should be modularized not
to be /that/ bad, but I don't know).

>From what I understand of Slack, however (not a whole lot, I'm a Gentooer
who started on Mandrake), it should be reasonably easy to simply uninstall
knotify and see, then install it again if the problems are worse instead
of better.  If that's the case, that's what I'd do... if I /had/ to stick
to 4.4 anyway.

But I'd really recommend that you upgrade to the later 4.5s (4.5.5
preferably, 4.5.4 if it's easily available for you and 4.5.5 isn't) and
see if that solves the problem, first.  If it doesn't, depending on what
the problem is, posting it here might get some help.  But at least
personally, I consider it a bit of a waste of time to worry about 4.4
issues when just the upgrade to 4.5 is likely to cure many of them.  Plus,
the kcontrol (umm... systemsettings that are more user-specific and kde-
specific settings than they are system settings, the kde3 name kcontrol
thus being far more accurate!) layout was rather seriously reorganized for
4.5, so any time we talk about something there, we now have to say
something about the path we give being the 4.5 path, the 4.4 and earlier
path was different.  So again, an upgrade to one of the later 4.5s really
is a good idea.  /Then/ see what bugs you have left to deal with and go
from there.