[kde-linux] Re: Individual Desktop Settings

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Apr 15 16:53:13 UTC 2011

On Friday, 2011-04-15, Dale wrote:

> But the part that affects more than one user is part of KDE.  That part
> is kdm which is a KDE program.  I can't think of anything else it
> changes and as far as I know, it is all KDE related.

Available modules can vary depending on distribution and chose installed
components.
Another system level setting usually present is clock/date settings, there
might be the module for printer configuration, etc.

> I never said kcontrol is right, just that it is more accurate.  The
> names you mention are fine, just stick a k on front of it, but it should
> be more clear that it is a KDE program and not something that is going
> to change things not even related to KDE.

The point of not having K in front of any name in this case is that while it
is a KDE application, it is not restricted to KDE settings.
It is a uniform UI for settings the amount of which depending on which modules
are installed on the system.

Like whatever that thing on Windows was called, though I don't know whether it
allows integration of third party components like KDE's settings manager does.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring