[kde-linux] Re: Individual Desktop Settings

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:40:53 UTC 2011

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2011-04-15, Dale wrote:
>

>> The reason is this, kcontrol lets a person know it is a KDE thing and
>> not a system thing.  For most long term Linux users, system means that
>> it is global.  As a example, if I make a change in xorg.conf, it is a
>> system wide change.  Any change there will affect ALL users.  Same could
>> be said for lots of other files.  That just happened to be a GUI one.
>>
>> If you use systemsetting, AKA Kcontrol, to change a setting, it only
>> affects the one user and has nothing to do with others or the system
>> itself.  The only exception to that I can think of would be the section
>> concerning the login and splash screen but that is actually a kdm
>> setting and you have to be root to change it.  When you have to type in
>> root to get access, it is usually a system setting of some sort.
>>
>> The point Duncan and Alex is making is that the name is misleading.  It
>> really doesn't change any "system" settings at all, just user settings.
>>
>> I have to agree with Duncan and Alex.  It is confusing and I really
>> don't see any reason why it should have been changed to begin with.  The
>> old name worked fine and was more accurate.  That said, it's not like
>> KDE hasn't made bad decisions before   Don't get us started on the
>> dropping KDE3 before KDE4 was ready, some would argue KDE4 still isn't
>> ready.  Anyway, I better stop there before we get this ball rolling again.
>>
>> On the other hand, I wish it was something besides a K in the front
>> sometimes.  There are a lot of kernel processes that start with k as
>> well.  I guess because kernel starts with a k.  :/
>>
> It has to be called something. KControl is not that accurate either because it
> can contain setting modules for non KDE settings (as you have already
> mentioned yourself).
>
> Maybe settings manager or settings center.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

But the part that affects more than one user is part of KDE.  That part
is kdm which is a KDE program.  I can't think of anything else it
changes and as far as I know, it is all KDE related.

I never said kcontrol is right, just that it is more accurate.  The
names you mention are fine, just stick a k on front of it, but it should
be more clear that it is a KDE program and not something that is going
to change things not even related to KDE.

Dale

:-)  :-)