[kde-linux] Re: Individual Desktop Settings

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:08:15 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Alex Schuster<wonko at wonkology.org>  wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>> What am I not understanding about your point?
>>>
>> I think Duncan is just calling the application by its true and correct name,
>> and not the misleading name the developers actually gave it.
>>
> So my true name is Joe and not the name my parents gave me? ;-)
>
> For people newer to KDE (me, about 1 year) what should the name
> 'kcontrol' mean to me?
>
> It makes no sense to me that we should start calling KDE apps by
> anything other than
>
> 1) What I run in a terminal to execute the app.
> 2) What I see in the KDE menus to execute the app.
>
> Of course, that's just my opinion.
>
> - Mark

The reason is this, kcontrol lets a person know it is a KDE thing and
not a system thing.  For most long term Linux users, system means that
it is global.  As a example, if I make a change in xorg.conf, it is a
system wide change.  Any change there will affect ALL users.  Same could
be said for lots of other files.  That just happened to be a GUI one.

If you use systemsetting, AKA Kcontrol, to change a setting, it only
affects the one user and has nothing to do with others or the system
itself.  The only exception to that I can think of would be the section
concerning the login and splash screen but that is actually a kdm
setting and you have to be root to change it.  When you have to type in
root to get access, it is usually a system setting of some sort.

The point Duncan and Alex is making is that the name is misleading.  It
really doesn't change any "system" settings at all, just user settings.

I have to agree with Duncan and Alex.  It is confusing and I really
don't see any reason why it should have been changed to begin with.  The
old name worked fine and was more accurate.  That said, it's not like
KDE hasn't made bad decisions before   Don't get us started on the
dropping KDE3 before KDE4 was ready, some would argue KDE4 still isn't
ready.  Anyway, I better stop there before we get this ball rolling again.

On the other hand, I wish it was something besides a K in the front
sometimes.  There are a lot of kernel processes that start with k as
well.  I guess because kernel starts with a k.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)