[kde-linux] Re: Individual Desktop Settings

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Fri Apr 15 14:13:34 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht writes:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> > In kcontrol (wrongly aka system settings)
>
> Duncan - I don't understand.
>
> When I start SystemSettings from the KDE menus I see systemsettings as
> a running program.
>
> When I attempt to start kcontrol on my Gentoo systems I do not find
> any program to run.
>
> This is KDE-4.4.5.
>
> What am I not understanding about your point?

I think Duncan is just calling the application by its true and correct name,
and not the misleading name the developers actually gave it. I agree,
systemsettings sounds more like a general config utility, like SuSE's yast.
A utility only dealing with KDE's settings should be named kcontrol as it
used to be, or ksystemsettings. Kystemsettings? Personally, I would like
Kontrol.

Let's just hope the Gnome guys don't also call their utility systemsettings.
They should name it Gontrol.

	Wonko