[kde-linux] Re: Panel widgets alwais to the left

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Apr 12 00:23:45 UTC 2011

Klaus Vink Slott posted on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:07:22 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi all
>
> Somehow my panel in the bottom of my right monitor have decided to
> left adjust all widgets. Where do I change this setting?
>
> If I unlock the panel I can move the widget, but it immediately jumps
> to the leftmost possible placement. This way only allowing me the
> change the order of the active widgets.
>
> I am on OpenSUSE 11.3 with dual monitor and KDE 4.4.4

kde 4.4...  FWIW, 4.5 continued to bring MAJOR improvements to plasma,
thus both the desktop and panels.  4.6 is current but IMO not as huge an
improvement as earlier 4.x steps were.  In fact, 4.4 was still what I
called "release-candidate" quality, not really ready for prime-time yet.
IMO, it was only the later 4.5 releases (4.5.4 and 4.5.5, there were
graphics bugs that affected many users in the early 4.5 series, tho where
they weren't a problem it was great) that *FINALLY* qualified as what
*SHOULD* have been released as the real kde 4.0.

Thus, I'd really recommend upgrading to the last of the 4.5 releases,
4.5.5, as I do hate to see people still struggling with versions that had
the serious bugs that earlier releases, including 4.4, had.  (Tho 4.4 was
at least semi-usable, as I said, "release-candidate" level instead of the
beta level of 4.3, or the alpha level of 4.0 thru 4.2.)  4.5.5 is the
solidest and most mature version of kde4 yet.

But to directly address your question...

Plasmoid (plasma widget) size and placement behavior in the panel has
always been limited by the panel form-factor and the fact that plasma
tries to auto-adjust plasmoids to fit.  As such, a lot of it is automated,
without the degree of control one might always wish, and that one normally
has with, for example, desktop/activity placement and sizing of the same
plasmoids.

This has always been somewhat frustrating for me.  4.5 did seem to help
with some of that, tho to be fair, I'm sure a lot of that was that I've
simply gotten used to it, and simply gave up on trying to get it to work
my way, and learned to work its way.

That said, there *IS* a (partial) solution that MAY help you get what you
want.  I had decidedly mixed results with it here, but it's worth a try,
and can help in some instances.

That solution is the "spacer" plasmoid.  The way this is inserted as
changed a bit over the versions, and I'm not sure I recall where kde 4.4
fell in the process.  For early kde4, there wasn't a spacer built-in, but
there's a "spacer" plasmoid available for download from kde-look.org.
Then it was built-in, appearing at first, IIRC, still as a plasmoid,
listed with the others (tho I might be wrong on this).  With 4.5+ and
possibly 4.4, I'm not sure, it's available, but as a separate option, NOT
shown in the normal plasmoid browser that appears when "add widgets" is
shown, but instead, from the panel settings popup itself.

So in either the panel settings popup, or if it's not there, in the
plasmoid browser, you should see a spacer option.  If you don't, the
plasmoid should still be available from kde-look, but I /think/ it was
already in 4.4, so downloading it /shouldn't/ be necessary.

However you do it with that version, try adding a spacer, and see if that
helps.

As I said, however, I had mixed results here.  One spacer seems to work
well, forcing everything one way or the other.  But what I wanted was some
stuff to the left, some to the right, and some in the center, and putting
a spacer on either side of the stuff I wanted centered didn't seem to
allow me to configure what I wanted, partly because what I really needed
was a spacer that would let me place hard limits on how "spacey" it was,
letting the one on the other end be flexible to take up the remaining
space, and at least back when I experimented with it, that wasn't an
option.

So try it.  It'll probably help some.  But don't be surprised if you can't
get exactly the results you want.  As I said, mixed results...

Meanwhile, I eventually worked around the problem in other ways.  One
thing that helped was that I found a rather power-user-focused system-
monitor type plasmoid, yasp-scripted (available on kde-look.org), that in
addition to letting me monitor more system state than I could do
otherwise, indirectly allowed me to control the plasmoid size, by
controlling the text and graph output.  Since I could now quite precisely
control the size of that plasmoid, it allowed me to control where
everything else was placed in relation to it. =:^)

As I said, yasp-scripted is rather power-user focused, really coming into
its own only for those who are relatively functional at the command line
since that's where it gets much of its flexibility, and needing a lot of
tweaking to work "as intended", that many users might not have the
patience for, but there are likely other plasmoids options that allow
relatively precise control of the size, as well, for those who don't find
yasp-scripted appropriate to their needs or skill level.