[kde-linux] Re: No panel/taskbar after going to single monitor

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:37:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 09:58:41 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> I've got a KDE problem. I needed to move a monitor on one dual-screen
>> KDE box to a different machine. I physically removed what was the second
>> monitor, modified the xorg.conf file to remove all references to the
>> second screen and rebooted. I now get a normal login screen with entries
>> boxes in the middle of what is now the only monitor attached to the
>> system. However once I log in I get only wallpaper and don't see any
>> panel/taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
>> As KDE doesn't even give the option to open a terminal using a right
>> click I don't know how to proceed.
>
> KDE 1 was a long time ago.  I didn't know it had dual monitor support?
> But the only time it doesn't make sense to include the kde version is
> before there's other versions to talk about, so you /must/ be talking
> about something in the kde1 era, right?
>
> =;^P

I guess I'm not smart enough to understand the comment above. KDE 1?
You know I'm a Gentoo user and old stuff isn't in portage.

> Seriously, version number can make a difference.  kde4's multi-monitor
> support has improved dramatically over time, and particularly plasma had
> some bugs in that regard as late as 4.5.  I've not personally seen any in
> 4.6, but then I've not done a whole lot that might provoke them in 4.6
> either, so I can't be sure the ones I experienced in 4.5 have been fixed.
> By the 4.2.4 at which I originally switched, kde4 /was/ useful in multi-
> monitor mode, but there were /significant/ bugs with it, some of which
> have only been fixed recently.

I'm using whatever the stable version from portage is. 4.4.5 I think.

I read through your response, used the Alt-F2 trick to get
systemsettings up and running, didn't see any problems with
KDE-4.4.5's thoughts about what was attached for monitors. It saw one
1280x1024 monitor attached to VGA1 which is what it should see. Still
no panel/taskbar/App Launcher across the bottom. I found I could add
widgets to the desktop but if I tried to add an App Launcher it just
disappeared.

The easy way out was to delete the .kde4 directory in my home
directory and just start like a new user. I'm now back up and
configured the way I want. I don't know what I lost by doing that -
probably some saved passwords, etc., but nothing too hard to set up
again.

Thanks,
Mark