[kde-linux] Polkit issues

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 15 08:54:46 UTC 2010

  On 09/08/10 13:01, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Following James Tyrer's instructions, "Getting Started/Build/KDE4/LFS", I managed to compile "polkit-kde-1-0.95.1.tar.bz2". However, James, there seems to be an error in your Patch: the instruction "endif (DESKTOP_INSTALL_DIR)" lacks an "if" and leeds to an configuration error. I skiped this statement.
Did you copy the patch to a file, or are you applying it by hand?  If
applying a patch by hand, remove the lines that start with "-" and
replace them with the lines starting with "+".  In this case that would
be only these:

  -                                         ${POLKITQT-1_AGENT_LIBRARY}
+                                         ${POLKITQT-1_LIBRARIES}

-install(FILES
${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop
DESTINATION ${DESKTOP_INSTALL_DIR})
+install(FILES
${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop
DESTINATION ${KDE4_AUTOSTART_INSTALL_DIR})

The other lines in the patch are just to indicate context.
> Polkit-kde
I presume that you mean PolKit-KDE-1.
> builds and installs smoothly, but nothing else happens !
Actually, KDE does not use this by default so unless you specified that
KAuth use it, the default: "PolicyKit" will be used and I would
recommend using the default.

I have presumed that: "polkit-kde" has been integrated into KDELibs.
Does anyone actually know?
> I changed _by Hand_  in  /usr/share/PolicyKit /policy all "allow_any"'s from "no" to "yes" ( I know, KDE's people will kill me, but I am sad ), and after this for the first time in life I was allowed to grant permissions to "edgar" in "System settings"->  Permissions ! However, I wasn't rewarded:  I am still not allowed e.g. to change date and time. To be honest: I do not know at all what permissions I got. Perhaps some of you can guide me.

You need to do the configuration:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Tutorials/D-Bus/Configuration

and, unfortunately, you can only configure for one KDE version at a
time.  If you change the configuration, you must restart: "messagebus"
and "haldaemon" for the changes to take effect.

> By the way, "org.freedesktop.policykit.policy" is the only file in /usr/share/PolicyKit /policy. Also: there are no files at all in /etc/xdg/autostart.
>
> Policy issues remains a nightmare. I hope, someone can help a little.
Yes.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch