[kde-linux] Re: fstab--translation?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 23 08:15:56 UTC 2010

Doug posted on Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:54:16 -0500 as excerpted:

> On PCLINUXOS, a KDE-derived system, the fstab appears
> as shown here, below.  (I hope--I pasted a Ksnapshot in.)
>

> I tried some time ago to run WINE, but I needed to input files from a
> floppy, and the os wouldn't recognise it.  I think it needs to be in the
> fstab, but I can't read this stuff, and I have no idea how I would find
> the UUID of my floppy drive.

That has /nothing/ to do with kde, as fstab is at the OS level (to be
precise, Linux kernel, mount command, and distribution level initscripts),
while kde is the desktop environment, running on top of the (base) OS, and
wine is an entirely independent program as well.  You'd be better off
asking on either the PCLinuxOS or wine (mailing)lists/(news)groups/(web)
forums/(IRC)channels/whatever.

Meanwhile, what I can say about it is...

(Caveat:) I don't use wine (I don't do servantware, in the context of the
sig, and there's plenty of native Linux freedomware, so no need to run
wine), so won't attempt to say anything about that, but...

UUIDs are normally assigned by fdisk (for the disk) and mkfs/format (for
the partition, or the disk if directly formatted without fdisking), so the
UUID would be floppy specific (and would change if you formatted the
floppy), not associated with the floppy drive.

But you shouldn't need the UUID for a floppy disk entry in fstab.  Rather,
you'd use something like /dev/fd0 in place of the UUID entry.  Assuming
you have the appropriate manpage packages installed, the documentation
will be available in the mount (8) and fstab (5) manpages (which should be
readable from a text term or a konsole window using man, and I think kde's
khelpcenter also reads manpages).

Beyond that, unless there happens to be a PCLinuxOS user here willing to
help, as I mentioned above, you're more likely to get better help on
whatever PCLinuxOS lists or whatever.