[kde-linux] Re: symantiks in Gnome MINT

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 21 10:48:56 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 November 2010 11:08:20 Doug wrote:
> I recently installed the latest version of Linux MINT on my laptop.  It
> uses a Gnome GUI, but has access to some KDE software.  For example, KPat,
> the KDE solitaire game installed from the synaptic package manager and
> runs fine.
>
> Symantiks, the program that turns off the scratchpad--oops, touchpad--
> when an external mouse is plugged in, was also downloaded from the same
> repo. (I assume so: the same download process was used.)
>
> At any rate, the synaptic package manager says it's installed, but there's
> no evidence of it in any menu I can find.  I have posted to the MINT forum
> and after several go-rounds with someone who thought I meant synaptic,
> rather than synaptiks, he said it was KDE and therefor would have to have
> a whole batch of KDE programs downloaded and installed in order to run it.

I'm assuming you need to configure synaptiks to work the way you want, that
you are running Gnome, and that synaptiks will work OK on a Gnome desktop once
it is configured.

In which What you need to run is either systemsettings or kcmshell, and you
probably won't have to install too much more as installing Syaptiks and KPat
would have pulled all the required libraries in to work in the first place.

Running systemsettings (aka System Settings or KDE System Settings in the
menu) is the easiest and gives you the full KDE settings program and the
ability to configure all of KDE, but it does have more dependencies than
kcmshell, you will need a package usually named something like kdebase-apps.

Running kcmshell from the command line (or kcmshell4 as it may be named like
on openSuse where kcmshell is the KDE3 version) runs just the configuration
module you request, so "kcmshell4 --list" gives me a list of all the installed
control modules, and "kcmshell4 synaptiks" gives me the synaptiks control
module.  You don't need to install anything more for this option, as you
should have everything already needed installed.

Cheers!

John.