[kde-linux] symantiks in Gnome MINT

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Nov 21 11:08:20 UTC 2010

I recently installed the latest version of Linux MINT on my laptop.  It uses
a Gnome GUI, but has access to some KDE software.  For example, KPat,
the KDE solitaire game installed from the synaptic package manager and
runs fine.

Symantiks, the program that turns off the scratchpad--oops, touchpad--
when an external mouse is plugged in, was also downloaded from the same
repo. (I assume so: the same download process was used.)

At any rate, the synaptic package manager says it's installed, but there's
no evidence of it in any menu I can find.  I have posted to the MINT forum
and after several go-rounds with someone who thought I meant synaptic,
rather than synaptiks, he said it was KDE and therefor would have to have
a whole batch of KDE programs downloaded and installed in order to run it.

That's OK by me.  Tell me what the names of the programs are, and assuming
they are in the repo, I will download them.  I have plenty of disk space on
that machine.  (If they're not in the repo, you might tell me how to get
them.)

Please don't recommend the g-pointing-device program that Debian says
to use.  I tried it (on Debian, or maybe Ubuntu,) and it doesn't work
for more
than about 10 seconds and then fails. I use the synaptiks routine on
PCLOS on
my laptop, and it works perfectly.

(I have been running PCLOS (KDE) for some time now, and I really like it.
There's one KDE program that's giving some trouble, and I'll get to that
in a
different post.)

Thanx for any assistance.  --doug