[kde-linux] Re: adjust date and time

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 16:03:51 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 04:12 AM, Pascal Hasko Bernhard wrote:

> Am 03.11.2010 16:21, schrieb Peter Catchlove:
>> Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I've got it coming if I use debian
>> testing: presumably stable doesn't have this problem. In the meantime,
> I've
>> learnt how to set the time at cli.
>> Sounds like I should set the timezone, or be using ntp, since my hwclock
>> drifts quite badly, but I'll have to wait until the GUI is working again
>> unless there's an easy way of doing these at the cli.
>> It says you need a permanent connection for ntp. Is there no way it can
> just
>> check against the network once a day or at boot?
>>
>> thanks again..
>> Peter C.
>>
> [snip]
>

> Syncing your system time with your hardware clock would not be an option?
> You could do this by the following command (as root or superuser)
> # hwclock -hwtosys -localize
First you need to set the Kernel time with: "ntpdate".  Then you should
be able to use: "setclock" to set the hardware clock.

> I hope, I remember that correctly, have a look in the man-page of hwclock.

You can use:

     ntpdate <time server URL>
     setclock

in your "rc.local" file.

and then make a Cron job to run: "ntpdate" once an hour, which should
adjust the accuracy of the Kernel clock.

Or, you can run the: "ntpd" after setting the clock at startup.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch