[kde-linux] Re: KDE 4.5.3 - awesome!

Christopher Roy Bratusek zanghar at freenet.de
Sun Nov 7 15:24:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:57:19 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 06 November 2010 14:13:33 Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I believe developers may read/lurk this list.  I'd like to
> > congratulate everyone on how wonderful KDE 4.X has improved from
> > iteration to iteration.
> >
> > I like the fact the `eye candy' can be dialed in to one's liking.
> > If someone wants to go to `11', they can.  I love that the software
> > has capabilities beyond my needs.  Very cool.
> >
> > In short:  well done and thank _you_!!!
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> So far KDE 4.x that I have seen has been sluggish and clumsy to use.
> And one of the most useful parts of the KDE Suite, Quanta Plus, has
> not been rewritten to match.  So I use XFCE, after many years of using
> KDE. I have to have Qt 4 available because apps are moving to it. As
> for the rest, fugeddaboudit.
>
> If/when the eye candy gets out of the way and KDE becomes a
> workmanlike program launcher again I may revisit again. As of now I am
> happy to just say no.
>
> I expect to put up a Slackware  12.2 partition just to get at Quanta
> Plus. And I have already retrograded from Slackware 13.1 to Slackware
> 13.0 on my main partition. The Xorg folks are also fiddling to our
> detriment.
>
> Not every change is an improvement. But lately our string of bad luck
> has been astonishing.

Of course it's your decision to like it or not.

Indeed it's a pitty Quanta is not yet ported. But I don't see the point why KDE isn't
"workmanlike". To be exact I have an empty desktop and KWin replaced by Sawfish. Well,
KDE is highly configurable so I'm sure it might fit you needs of you take the time to
customize it (took almost 2 weeks here).

Besides you can just setup FolderView + Kicker so it's basically the same than KDE 3.
Compositing can be disabled and the animation-effects from widgets definitively don't
hurt. And about X.Org... I hope that they will understand one day that shipping stuff from
ages ago just to stay compatible with machines 100 years old is not the way to go.

Chris