[kde-linux] Re: KDE 4.5.3 - awesome!

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Nov 7 14:57:19 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 November 2010 14:13:33 Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe developers may read/lurk this list.  I'd like to
> congratulate everyone on how wonderful KDE 4.X has improved from
> iteration to iteration.
>
> I like the fact the `eye candy' can be dialed in to one's liking.
> If someone wants to go to `11', they can.  I love that the software
> has capabilities beyond my needs.  Very cool.
>
> In short:  well done and thank _you_!!!
>
> Cheers,

So far KDE 4.x that I have seen has been sluggish and clumsy to use.
And one of the most useful parts of the KDE Suite, Quanta Plus, has
not been rewritten to match.  So I use XFCE, after many years of using
KDE. I have to have Qt 4 available because apps are moving to it. As
for the rest, fugeddaboudit.

If/when the eye candy gets out of the way and KDE becomes a
workmanlike program launcher again I may revisit again. As of now I am
happy to just say no.

I expect to put up a Slackware  12.2 partition just to get at Quanta
Plus. And I have already retrograded from Slackware 13.1 to Slackware
13.0 on my main partition. The Xorg folks are also fiddling to our
detriment.

Not every change is an improvement. But lately our string of bad luck
has been astonishing.
--
John Culleton, Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus" $5.95 at

Free eps format barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/