[kde-linux] Re: adjust date and time

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Nov 4 09:05:18 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-11-03, Peter Catchlove wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I've got it coming if I use debian
> testing: presumably stable doesn't have this problem. In the meantime, I've
> learnt how to set the time at cli.
> Sounds like I should set the timezone, or be using ntp, since my hwclock
> drifts quite badly, but I'll have to wait until the GUI is working again
> unless there's an easy way of doing these at the cli.
> It says you need a permanent connection for ntp. Is there no way it can
> just check against the network once a day or at boot?

Check if you have the ntpdate package installed or do so if you haven't.
It has (at least here on Debian/Unstable) a network hook that makes it check
time servers when network interfaces come up, e.g. at boot.

Haven't had to change time manually in years.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring