[kde-linux] I finally started on KDE4.. Problems with Samba, Dolphin and Folderview

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Mon May 31 20:30:01 UTC 2010

I guess you would say I am not an early adopter, but I finally upgraded
my Slackware 12.1 with KDE 3.5.10 to Slack 13.1 with shiny new KDE 4.4.3.

Slackware has a reputation for providing packages pretty well as their
developers intended with minimal customisation so I assume I am looking
at a plain vanilla version of KDE 4.4.3.

Having missed out on much of the pain reported on this list I feel I
have cheated a bit, but first impressions (after the inevitable hour
spent asking myself "where is this / that?") are very positive. The
minor questions below show that I have not discovered much that is wrong
or even just not to my liking.

Biggest problem so far is with the samba client - my home server has a
large samba share on it that I need to access. If I type smb:/ into the
dolphin or konqueror address bar, I get to see the network and the
servers. I even see the shared folder on the server. However, on trying
to open this folder I get "The process for the smb://<my-server-name>
protocol died suddenly". I know that the server is serving OK, because
from the command line I can do a "mount.cifs
//<same-server-name>/<folder-name> /<somewhere-on-my-filesystem>"
command and I can browse the shared folder from that <somewhere> either
in the command line or in Dolphin. It would appear to be a problem with
the way that Dolphin / Konqueror are trying to mount and access this
share. Any ideas for fixing this ?

Small Dolphin problems : (a) When you ask for a "split" view, how do you
know which of the two panes is the "current" pane - ie to which pane
will operations such as "previous", "next", "up one level" apply when
you click icons on the toolbar. The panes look identical to me - am I
missing something really obvious ? (b) What does the "Filter" do under
the main file listing. I thought I would be able to type "*.ogg" to see
all the ogg files, but pretty well whatever I type in there makes all
the files disappear from the listing. Have I totally misunderstood what
this is for ?

Finally a small question about folderview on the desktop. I have created
a folder view of a folder into which I have put some links to apps. I
call one (for example) "Firefox" but on the desktop the icon is labelled
"Firefox.Desktop" . Any way of removing the unwanted ".Desktop" extension ?

Thanks for any help. Generally I have to say that I am not tearing out
my hair in the way that I thought I might be - no doubt due to the good
work of the early adopters / testers.

Bogus