[kde-linux] XDG vs. KDE-4 Menu

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon May 31 08:13:57 UTC 2010

On Sunday, 2010-05-30, James Tyrer wrote:
> On 05/30/10 11:41, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > I've seen people set it in $HOME/.bashrc, thus seeing the correct value
> > in any konsole session, but not realizing that the main KDE session is
> > not seeing this environment change at all.
>
> An environment variable setting actually belongs in $HOME/.bash_profile.
>   But, these are system wide environmental variables set in:
> /etc/profile.d scripts.

Ah, good.
As I said the environment issue is something I encountered more than once so I
mention it when there is a problem related to environment variables :)

> > One way to check is to run ALT+F2 and use env>  /tmp/env.out to check the
> > environment of application's launched by the main KDE session.
>
> Or use a VT which is what I did and yes, it is set in the VT.

Right, assuming it does not read any of the files user shells usually read.
Checking the actual environment is of course the most accurate method.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring