[kde-linux] Cron emails don't respect my MAILTO

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 12 16:38:22 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 17:24:06 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2010 11:08:28 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > May 12 14:00:01 tecra-a11 postfix/sendmail[8372]: warning: the Postfix
> > sendmail command must be installed without set-uid root file permissions
>
> Ignore this.  The cron daemon is probably suid.

OK, thanks.

> > > Please send output of (crontab -l | grep -Ev '^[[:space:]]*(#|$)'),
> > > feel free to drop any command lines, I just want to double-check your
> > > syntax on the environment setting lines.
> >
> > 0 14 * * *      /home/anne/bup_contacts.sh
> > MAILTO=anne at lydgate.org
>
> Have you tried putting the "MAILTO=" line above the commands?  Maybe it
> shouldn't matter, but all my examples have all the environment lines about
> all the command lines.

That completely changes the look of the entry in systemsettings > task
scheduler.  Previously the command was to backup the contacts directory, and
the mailto was showing as an environment variable.  Now the kcron entry looks
very odd indeed - see the attached.  (I made the change using 'crontab -e'.)
> It's very likely that the order matters, so that you could have some

> commands mailing to one location and other commands mailing to about
> location (or using a different PATH, etc.)
>
> e.g.:
> 34 * * * * hourly-stuff
> 51 9 2 1 * other-stuff
>
> MAILTO=john
> 13 17 15 5 * happy-birthday
>
> MAILTO=root
> * * * * * vrms

Yes, I can see the sense  in that.

> > > It would be helpful to know what cron daemon you are using.
> >
> > It appears that I'm using
> >
> > cronie-1.4.4-1.fc13.i686 : Cron daemon for executing programs at set
> > times
>
> I'm not familiar with that one.  It doesn't appear to be available for
> Debian.

Thanks for the help.  What's the easiest way of testing this, without waiting
for 14:00 tomorrow?

KDE Community Working Group