[kde-linux] Cron emails don't respect my MAILTO

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Wed May 12 16:24:06 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 11:08:28 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 May 2010 22:13:40 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > Do your MTA/MDA logs
> > indicate the mail was received from cron and delivered?
>
> It was sent from root to me at my local domain address.

Then your cron daemon is properly using your MTA, so you shouldn't have an
issue using a non-local address.

> However,
>  immediately preceding that there are messages that could be relevant.  I
>  hadn't noticed these before, but obviously it's something that needs
>  fixing, and I'd be grateful if you could advise me on this:
>
> May 12 14:00:01 tecra-a11 postfix/sendmail[8372]: warning: the Postfix
> sendmail command has set-uid root file permissions
> May 12 14:00:01 tecra-a11 postfix/sendmail[8372]: warning: or the command
>  is run from a set-uid root process
> May 12 14:00:01 tecra-a11 postfix/sendmail[8372]: warning: the Postfix
> sendmail command must be installed without set-uid root file permissions

Ignore this.  The cron daemon is probably suid.

> > Please send output of (crontab -l | grep -Ev '^[[:space:]]*(#|$)'), feel
> > free to drop any command lines, I just want to double-check your syntax
> > on the environment setting lines.
>
> 0 14 * * *      /home/anne/bup_contacts.sh
> MAILTO=anne at lydgate.org

Have you tried putting the "MAILTO=" line above the commands?  Maybe it
shouldn't matter, but all my examples have all the environment lines about all
the command lines.

It's very likely that the order matters, so that you could have some commands
mailing to one location and other commands mailing to about location (or using
a different PATH, etc.)

e.g.:
34 * * * * hourly-stuff
51 9 2 1 * other-stuff

MAILTO=john
13 17 15 5 * happy-birthday

MAILTO=root
* * * * * vrms

> > It would be helpful to know what cron daemon you are using.
>
> It appears that I'm using
>
> cronie-1.4.4-1.fc13.i686 : Cron daemon for executing programs at set times

I'm not familiar with that one.  It doesn't appear to be available for Debian.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))