[kde-linux] how do you get the circumflex vowels on the French keyboard?

Graham Anderson graham.anderson at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:21:40 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 02:52:52 Louis Hinman wrote:
>I am running KDE 4.2.4.
>
>I recently installed the French keyboard, which seems to have all the
>accented letters *except* for the vowels that have a circumflex over them (
>a little "hat" like this: ^).
>
>In Windoze, you are advised to type the circumflex and then the vowel that
>it is supposed to go over.  However, this does not work with the KDE French
>keyboard.

When I need to type or work with French & German I set the keyboard layout
variant in kde keyboard config as "International (with dead keys)" This works
exactly like you describe for all accented characters. This way I keep my own
en_GB/UK keyboard layout and have all the accented characters I need.

This layout variant is available for US layout also.

 é is: apostrophe -> e
 ' is: apostrophe -> space

 ö is: double quote -> o
 " is: " -> space

 ô is: circumflex -> o
 ^ is: ^ -> space

Cheers,
Graham

--
“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
- Christopher Hitchens