[kde-linux] Audio device permanently disappeared from Multimedia System settings list

Jiri Moravec jim.lkml at gmail.com
Tue May 4 13:41:34 UTC 2010

On 3.5.2010 10:11, Dale wrote:
> Jiri Moravec wrote:
>> Knotify (probably) sometimes display information about nonfuctional audio devices:
>> "KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
>> Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?
>> This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
>> HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog"
>>
>> Two weeks ago this happened to me again and this time I did something not too wise. I clicked on YES.
>> And from that point I'm screwed, because I can't play any sound from any X11/KDE aplications, only from terminal command line.
>> No youtube videos, no amarok, nothing.
>>
>> ALSA have no problem with my ALC1200 Analog:
>> ~ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
>>    Subdevices: 0/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> But KDE Multimedia System settings list only 2 devices and only latter is actually displayed if "Show advanced devices" is not checked:
>> HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital (IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)
>> HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
>>
>> And it is HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog, which I really need back.
>>
>> I have kde-base/phonon-kde-4.3.5 and media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.17 (yes gentoo).
>> With gstreamer backend I'm not successfull. I tried almost everything include complete fresh install KDE and xine.
>>
>> Maybe question "Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?" mean that there is some file where it is saved which devices must be permanently forgeted. But I found nothing.
>>
>> Do you know any method how can I solve my problem?
>>
>> Thank you for any help
>> Jiří Moravec
>>

> Well, I searched for my sound card and it is in this file:
>
> /home/dale/.kde4/share/config/phonondevicesrc
>
> If it was me, I would rename the file, maybe add .old on the end, then
> login and see if things work.  If not, you may want to rename the file
> and put it back.  I suspect this will fix it but I haven't tested it.
> If it breaks, you can have the pieces. No promises.
>
> I have ran into this before but I just didn't answer yes.  I'm not sure
> why it doesn't see my card at times.  It's rare that it does this but
> you are not alone on this problem.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Nope, when I reinstalled KDE, I removed all config files - (find /home -type d -name .kde4 -exec rm -rf {} \;).

When I remove phonondevicesrc again and restart X11/KDE new created phonondevicesrc file:
[AudioDevice_HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI\nHDMI Audio Output_playback]
cardName=HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
deleted=false
deviceNumber=-1
hotpluggable=false
iconName=audio-card
index=-2
initialPreference=30
isAdvanced=false

[AudioDevice_HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital\nIEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output_capture]
cardName=HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital (IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)
deleted=false
deviceNumber=-1
hotpluggable=false
iconName=audio-card
index=-3
initialPreference=30
isAdvanced=true

[AudioDevice_HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital\nIEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output_playback]
cardName=HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital (IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)
deleted=false
deviceNumber=-1
hotpluggable=false
iconName=audio-card
index=-1
initialPreference=30
isAdvanced=true

[Globals]
nextIndex=4

ALC1200 Analog device is still missing. Probably problem is with xine or maybe deeper.

Any new idea?