[kde-linux] Audio device permanently disappeared from Multimedia System settings list

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 08:11:00 UTC 2010

Jiri Moravec wrote:
> Knotify (probably) sometimes display information about nonfuctional audio devices:
> "KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
> Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?
> This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
> HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog"
>
> Two weeks ago this happened to me again and this time I did something not too wise. I clicked on YES.
> And from that point I'm screwed, because I can't play any sound from any X11/KDE aplications, only from terminal command line.
> No youtube videos, no amarok, nothing.
>
> ALSA have no problem with my ALC1200 Analog:
> ~ aplay -l
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
>    Subdevices: 0/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> But KDE Multimedia System settings list only 2 devices and only latter is actually displayed if "Show advanced devices" is not checked:
> HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital (IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)
> HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
>
> And it is HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog, which I really need back.
>
> I have kde-base/phonon-kde-4.3.5 and media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.17 (yes gentoo).
> With gstreamer backend I'm not successfull. I tried almost everything include complete fresh install KDE and xine.
>
> Maybe question "Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?" mean that there is some file where it is saved which devices must be permanently forgeted. But I found nothing.
>
> Do you know any method how can I solve my problem?
>
> Thank you for any help
> Jiří Moravec

Well, I searched for my sound card and it is in this file:

/home/dale/.kde4/share/config/phonondevicesrc

If it was me, I would rename the file, maybe add .old on the end, then
login and see if things work.  If not, you may want to rename the file
and put it back.  I suspect this will fix it but I haven't tested it.
If it breaks, you can have the pieces. No promises.

I have ran into this before but I just didn't answer yes.  I'm not sure
why it doesn't see my card at times.  It's rare that it does this but
you are not alone on this problem.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)