[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings. (2)

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 16:15:20 UTC 2010

James Tyrer wrote:
> Having ferreted out some additional information, I have made some
> progress.  I still need a bit of help from people that installed from
> binaries to determine if things are bugs or configuration issues.
>
> Note to AW, please do not just say that it works.  That does not help --
> I need very specific information.
>
> The remaining issues is that although I can change the timezone in
> "System Settings :: General ->  Date&  Time", if I attempt to only change
> the timezone, when I select a different timezone in the "Time Zone" tab,
> the "Apply" button does not activate -- it remains grayed out.
>
> If you don't have this problem, could you please tell me the distro and
> release that you are using for KDE-4.4.

This is how I have worked around this problem.  I have Konqueror set to
open with root privileges.  I did that by editting the menu and setting
it to open as root instead of my user.  When I need to change a setting
that requires me to be root, I go to settings:/ in Konqueror and then
navigate my way around to where I need to go to edit the configs.  It's
not as pretty as the regular menu but it is running as root and so far,
nothing is grayed out for me.

By the way, I was running into that grayed out stuff too.  I use Gentoo
here.  Gentoo is a source based distro and not a binary based distro.

I hope that will help until they get things to working like they
should.  Maybe one of these days anyway.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)