[kde-linux] KMail settings dont work on KDE-4.4.1

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Mar 26 17:05:47 UTC 2010

On Friday, 2010-03-26, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi Anne, hi James and Hi Duncan,
>
> On Friday 26 March 2010 10:31:34 you wrote:
> > Hmm - the only thing I can think of that would cause it to be greyed out
> >would  be if kmailrc was read-only.  I can't think why it would be,
> > though. If you solve that part and want any help with the settings that
> > should be for each template, let me know and I'll paste them for you.
>
> As you may see, it is functioning now. Do not ask me how, I do not now it.
>  But reading your comments, I think I have an error:
> I have  kmailrc under /home/edgar/.kde4/share/config/, with rw permissions
>  for owner, the file beeing owned by edgar/edgar. But I discovered another
>  kmailrc under /home/edgar/.kde/share/config/  with rw, the file being
>  owned by root/root. Perhaps this has generated the problems.
> The one cent question:  Can I delete the /home/edgar/.kde kmailrc ? Why do
>  I have two kmailrc's ?

It could have been from a different install (compiled for a different default)
or (since it is root owned) created by kmail running as root with a different
environment for path variables such as KDEHOME.

You can use kde4-config to determine which paths are currently used

kde4-config --path config

(assuming that you have the same environment in the shell as the one KMail is
started in)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring