[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 25 18:39:22 UTC 2010

On 03/25/10 06:11, Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:56:22 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> When those of us using 'normal' distros can use the features it does
>> suggest that you are missing something in your build/installation.
>
> Not disagreeing, Anne... but perhaps substituting "other" for "normal"
> would be less apt to cause offense.

Why has she joined the cabal that disrespects those that build KDE from
source?  It used to be that such users were given more respect --
specifically, bug reports were given more validity when the reporter
built from source.  Why has this changed?

> Meanwhile, I think there were two elements to his post.  One was asking
> the question, which you answered. =:^)

The problem is that she did not answer my questions.  She just did her
usual: "it works fine for me" thing which is not only not helpful but is
something which people having problems will not take as helpful -- it is
offensive and only adds to their frustration.  I have asked her to
please stop doing this, but she continues.

> The second was blowing off steam.  I've been there as I'm sure most of us
> have, all frustrated with things not working, having to post to find out
> if it's just me, or if others have the issue too.  Recognizing that
> legitimate need to blow off steam at times, and that the post is just that
> and isn't really as negative as it may otherwise seem, is a good thing.
> =:^)
>
> Meanwhile, James, "falsely told", and "another instance of KDE releasing
> new features that are seriously broken", without confirming the case first
> (you /were/ asking, after all), doesn't exactly invite cheerful help,
> either.

I was "falsely told" that I didn't know how to build KDE when the issue
is clearly configuration.  There have been previous instances of KDE
adding new features and releasing then before they worked.  I didn't say
that this was the case, I said that it looked like it was, and it does
look like it.  Still, my interest is in investigation of the problem to
find its solution or determining that it is a bug and filing a report.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch