[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings.

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Thu Mar 25 17:21:43 UTC 2010

Hi, Hi Anne,

Me too, I need help, as James do. I am happy, that discussions are becomming
more objective, my experiences in the other forum were not good ( "take
distro binaries if you are not able to build" ).

>James, you know well enough that the fact that something doesn't work on
>your installation does not automatically mean that KDE have released
>something in a 'seriously broken' state.

I would not say, that the released product is "seriously broken". We can work
and KDE-4.4 is still under development. But I would appreciate, if problems
like James and I have, would not been considered as more or less our "private"
misconfiguration and inability of building, like some developers insinuated. We
are both experienced persons. "27/249" <i27249 at gmail.com> seems to have
solved this authorization issue after some weeks or hard work on directories
etc. It shows, that with the exception perhaps of distros, other persons _do_
experience problems building KDE-4.4, what, at least, shows a lack of
documentation.

>When those of us using 'normal' distros can use the
>features it does suggest that you are missing something in your
>build/installation.

Of course. But what, and where can we read about ?

I would like to have clear instructions, like: do I have to build KDE on
/usr/kde ? ( I hope no, as I build in /opt/kde, as adviced by the "scratch"
people ). Do I need _only_ polkitqt-1 or also polkit-kde and perhaps polkitqt
? What about PolicyKit ? consolekit seems to be necesary. In what directories
should they be installed ? ( there are different recommendations ) what are the
cmake-parameters needed for kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase ? ( someone wrote
that kdm should be build for polkit-1, this seems to indicate that kdebase
needs some cmake-parameters too ).
I got already help, but up to now I have not been able to activate the "auth"
feature.

I really appreciate any help and, btw., I am not polemic or offending, for sure
not.

Edgar