[kde-linux] kinternet doesn't start on reboot

FrankK frankk at oregoncoast.com
Sat Mar 20 06:02:14 UTC 2010

Thanks Duncan,
-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan [mailto:1i5t5.duncan at cox.net]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 3:01 AM
To: kde-linux at kde.org
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] kinternet doesn't start on reboot

FrankK posted on Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:38:36 -0700 as excerpted:

> How can I get kinternet to start on bootup? Manually restarting is just
> a nuisance! Is it an "easy get" to make it start automatically? My fresh
> 11.2 with kde 4.3.1 release 6, does not restart kinternet when rebooted.
> Kinternet once started has a Settings > Various Settings menu with a
> checkbox for Start Kinternet during Kde login. Whether kde is started
> via a passwordless login, or manually login, kinternet has to be
> manually started. I'm expecting there is a kde startup kind of directory
> that needs to have a kinternet startup. There's no hits greping
> kinternet in dmesg. My kinternet is located in a kde3 directory.

I don't use that program, but...

Assuming by that last bit that you mean that you are running kinternet for
kde3, that checkbox is likely designed to start it with kde3 login, not
kde4, which probably invokes it differently, as well as having the
settings stored in a different location.

That likely explains why that option doesn't work.  There's actually a
couple ways to fix it.

1) Stick a *.desktop file for kinternet in your kde4 startup directory.
Look in kcontrol (aka system settings, even if it's more kde control than
system settings), under Advanced User Settings, Autostart.

Now I'm running kde 4.4.1, the latest (with a lot of bug fixes, BTW, it's
quite better than 4.3.x), and IIRC they changed the layout of that
kcontrol module (aka kcm) a bit since 4.3, but here, I have two sections
in the listing, one for script files, the other for desktop files.  To the
right, there's separate buttons for add program (desktop file) and script
(traditional bash script).  IIRC in 4.3 they just had one add button and a
combined list.  Either way, click the appropriate button, browse to the
correct menu item (I'm assuming it's in your kmenu), and add.

2) The other way to handle it is with the session manager.  Again, that's
in kcontrol, advanced user settings, but under (what else?) session
manager.

Here, among other things, you can choose upon login to start with an empty
session, restore your previous session, or restore a manually saved
session.  The choice here is up to you, but the idea would be to have
kinternet in your restored session.

If you have it set to restore previous session (what I use and I believe
the default), it /should/ rerun anything that was running when you logged
out of kde when you login again (of course unless it's in the excluded
apps list).  That would presumably include kinternet.  I know that I keep
a pan (gtk NNTP client) instance running nearly all the time, and it
restarts that, so it's not just kde4 apps that it restarts.  It should
restart kde3 apps too, I'd imagine, if you still have some installed, as
it appears you do.  All you should need to do is have it running when you
leave kde, and it should restart it when you return to kde.

Alternatively, you can setup a session exactly the way you want it, save
that session, and then have it restore that manually saved session.  The
catch here is that I've never used this, so I don't actually know where
one saves the session.  The help text says there's an option for that in
the kmenu, but I don't see one. <shrug>  Maybe it's because I don't have
the restore saved session option selected, so it doesn't give me the save
session option on my kickoff menu.  Anyway, I presume this should work
too, provided you can find the save session option, and have kinternet
running when you do that save session.

Ducan, how do I invoke the Session Manager?
The lizard menu doesn't know about either the session or control manager.
There's no menu in the desktop background like some earlier kde versions.

My kde help index doesn't work - I have never have got that index working on
any kde version I've ever used! Using Find to search the kde4 help menu, I
found the session manger instructions.

What's missing is what these utilities are called and where they are. if
either is in my terminal search path, I never found the handle for session
manager or kcontrol, kcm, etc. I didn't find man pages or info pages either.

I started poking around and found Autostart. That looked promising, but it's
a totally empty directory, so I left that alone.

Can you share the magic for the invocation of Kcm or the session manager?
Frank K