[kde-linux] no device notifier on the panel

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 09:07:36 UTC 2010

Kevin Kempter posted on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:18:38 -0600 as excerpted:

> I've recently upgraded to KDE 4.4 and for various reasons created a new
> user on my laptop. However I don't get a device notifier on the panel
> for the new user.
>
> Anyone know how to get a device notifier back on my panel?

Um... add it?

Every widget on the panel and the desktop is a plasmoid (a widget for
plasma) that can be added, removed, moved around between them, etc.  Don't
like the clock?  Remove it and add an analog clock plasmoid if you prefer,
or simply do without.  Want a system tray in two diffeI've recently
upgraded to KDE 4.4 and for various reasons created a new
user on my laptop. However I don't get a device notifier on the panel for
the new user.

Anyone know how to get a device notifier back on my panel?
rent places on the desktop as well as on two different panels?  Not a
problem.  Add it to all of them.

Want one of several types of weather plasmoid?  Choose between the ones
you can download from kdelook.org, and what's included by default.  Want
three copies of "YAWP" (yet another weather plasmoid, one of the more
popular ones on kdelook) lined up across the desktop, each showing the
weather for a different location?  That's not a problem either.  Add the
three, line them up on the desktop, and configure each one for one of your
three chosen weather locations.

There's three kinds of kmenu (kickoff, classic, lancelot), two of which
(classic, lancelot) can have submenus added as well, and a fourth (at
least, I forgot the name but it's semantic desktop oriented, so it really
wasn't practical until the semantic desktop matured a bit, but with SD
coming into its own with kde 4.4 and 4.5, this kmenu alternative shouldn't
be far behind) in development.

The device notifier is simply another one of these plasmoids.  As such,
you can add and delete it as you wish.  If you want two dozen of them, you
could do that too. =:^)

To add plasmoids/widgets, you have to have them unlocked, so that's the
first step.  Depending on your desktop config, right-click or otherwise if
configured, get a context menu, or click on the "cashew", aka "toolbox".
Choose unlock widgets if they are locked (if they're already unlocked, the
option will say lock widgets, instead).  You can context-click on the
panel as well, if you can find a free spot.  If you can't, most (but not
all) plasmoids have a panel menu submenu, and you can find the unlock
widgets option there.  Note that the widget lock is global.  If you unlock
it on the desktop, it unlocks the panels as well; if you lock the panel,
it locks the desktop widgets too.

Then invoke the menu again, and choose add widgets.  4.4 added a nice new
widget explorer dialog, which appears as a strip across the screen.  Find
and select Device Notifier, then drag it to the place on the panel or
desktop you want.

BTW, if you decide you want to move plasmoids around, doing so on the
desktop is easy, as long as widgets aren't locked.  They can even be
dragged onto a panel, thus leaving the desktop. =:^)

Moving a plasmoid on the panel isn't quite as intuitive.  With widgets
unlocked, click on the panel cashew/toolbox.  Or again, context click on
the panel if you can find an empty spot or on a plasmoid, select panel
options and panel settings.  Either way should pop up what looks like
another panel, with the various settings.  Of course you can adjust the
panel here.  But the trick is that as long as this settings panel is
shown, you can also hover over any of the the panel's plasmoids, and the
mouse pointer should turn into the move pointer (4-sided arrow).  You can
then drag the plasmoid around on the panel or to the desktop.

Something I've not tried with 4.4 so I don't know if they've fixed it or
not... If you have multiple panels configured, or multiple monitors with a
separate activity on each, and try to drag between activities or between
panels, the widget would tend to drop rather unexpectedly when it hit the
second activity or panel.  One had to then pick it up and continue moving
it to the desired location.  But as I said, I've not tried it with 4.4.
Perhaps they fixed the bug of it dropping unexpectedly like that.

So anyway, yes, as I said, to get the device notifier back, simply unlock
widgets if necessary, add widgets, select the device notifier and drag it
to the desired location... and you're done. =:^)

Well, except that you probably want to lock widgets again.  It's not such
a big deal on the panel, but widgets on the desktop can get accidentally
dragged around, and seeing that toolbox appear to the side of each
plasmoid on the desktop as you move over it can get annoying as well.  So
you probably do want to lock the widgets when you're not actively adding/
deleting/moving them. =:^)

Hope it helps. =:^)