[kde-linux] Distro for using KDE 4.4

Alain Mouette alainm at pobox.com
Wed Mar 17 00:55:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have been trying KDE4 with Kubuntu for some time without success.
*BUT* I am considering that a big part of the problem is Kubuntu and not
KDE :)

<rant>
Kubuntu sucks. current alpha3 doesn't even install in VirtualBox. FWICT
the main problem is with the display driver: it is not configurable and
there is no option to use plain VGA or FB. And the problem is not with
this version, I had the same problem with Kubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. So I am
stuck with 8.04 :(
</rant>

So... I belive that probably Debian is the solution. I never used Debian
(used RedHat, Mandriva, Kubuntu), I read many install pages and could
not figure how KDE 4.4 will get there, it at all. Is there a specific
pack for that, o a specific set of packages to get a full system? Please
Help

Please note that I am asking here because my problem is to get a full
KDE 4.4.1 system and I don't want to make my way backwards to Gnome.

Thanks a lot,
Alain